The Wi fi smart thermostart rth9580 from Honeywell is an exceptional piece of equipment that can help you keep tabs of everything that happens in your home. From humidity and temperature to smart security and heating status, this innovative product is a sleek gadget that is very easy to use and is equipped with plenty of features to enable you to stay in control of the temperature inside your home. If you are here to read an unbiased Honeywell wifi smart thermostat review, you have landed on the right page.
The Honeywell thermostat with built in humidistat and non programmable thermostat is not your average thermostat. With a good rating online and thousands of positive reviews, the general opinion about this product is a positive one. Of course, just like any other device, the Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf has its own drawbacks. There are many Honeywell thermostat reviews online, but none is focused so much on the results this thermostat brings to your home. Our review includes both pros and cons of the product, but also offers comprehensive information about the results offered by this device.
For those who do not have time to read my full review then click here to go to Amazon for the Honeywell Smart Thermostat, Wi-Fi, Touchscreen, Works with Amazon Alexa
What Is the Honeywell Smart Thermostat?
One of the most important home electronic devices available today are thermostats. Being extremely useful for homeowners, these thermostat humidistat combo devices can help you conserve energy, reduce carbon footprint and keep the temperature inside your home at an optimal level all throughout the day.
The honeywell humidity control thermostat was created a while ago, but it has never evolved too much until recently. In the last couple of years, we’ve seen a huge leap in technology. Honeywell, as one of the most powerful and innovative thermostat brands available on the market, has managed to take advantage of this leap and design a thermostat that can meet the most basic needs and exceed the wildest expectations.
The Honeywell wifi thermostat rth9580wf is quite old, coming with at least 3 years of “experience” in the market. After all that time, we thought that the specialists from Honeywell will give it a well-deserved revamp and will update its design and features. However, they somehow decided that this oldie but goodie should remain as it is. While most modern thermostats come with exceptional, futuristic designs, this durable workhorse maintained its familiar, plain design.
Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf boasts a silver, regular frame that encompasses a 24-bit color LCD display screen. This thermostat is remarkably slim, with just 0.8”. It is half the size of its main competitor, the Nest. Thanks to its sleek design, the Honewell rth9580 is able to literally hug your wall, protruding less than 1” on the exterior. This is an exceptional benefit, especially if you don’t want people to notice your sleek thermostat.
The responsive touch screen is very easy to use and is highly responsive.
Overall, we believe that the Honeywell wi fi smart thermostat deserves 5 stars out of 5 for its amazing design. Despite lacking the modern features of recently launched thermostats, this is a thermostat that has never failed when it came to design.
Features & Benefits
The Honeywell thermostat rth9580wf comes with several features that make it stand out of the crowd. Here are some of the aspects that give this thermostat an edge over its competition.
1. You can access the thermostat using the remote companion app: the free companion app, which supports Android, iPad and iPhone, gives you full control over your thermostat. In other words, you can turn it on and off while shopping, while at work or when stuck in traffic. To make it even easier for you to stay in control of your indoor temperature, you get regular emails about important changes in humidity, temperature, errors or deviations from the pre-set temperature.
One great benefit here is that you can gain the peace of mind that the thermostat will not run on its own. The thermostat behavior is under your full control. You can set personalized email alerts for temperature increase or decrease, malfunctions, connection lost with the Honeywell servers, command failure to reach your thermostat and reinstating normal conditions.
One extra benefit is that you can turn on the heat in the morning, with 15 minutes before waking up. For instance, if you have slept the whole night with a minimum temperature setting, but you notice that in the morning you are cold, you can snooze for 15-20 more minutes (something you are probably already doing) and turn up the temperature 20 degrees. This way, when you get out of bed the level of discomfort will be reduced to a minimum.
The companion app is very easy to use, install and extremely useful. Many users reported that they have never found a better thermostat app before coming across the one offered by Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf. This is definitely an extra reason to purchase this product.
2. Smartly designed interface: the interface of the rth9580wf from Honeywell is highly intuitive and works seamlessly. Unlike most other thermostat, you can actually personalize the screen background color in order to match your décor. To make things even more interesting, you can adjust the shade of the color, the brightness and the contrast. You have 12 color presets and three sliders of color, which range from 0 to 359. The color options are endless.
To give you even more control, the screen locks automatically after a few seconds. This setting gives you the peace of mind that no one will be able to accidentally mess up with the settings and ruin your perfect settings. The lock screen feature is also great when you want to clean the unit of unwanted fingerprints without accidentally changing the settings. Moreover, you can set a password that only you know, so that you gain an extra measure of security.
Integrate with multiple platforms and apps: one amazing feature of the wifi Honeywell thermostat that makes it stand out head and shoulders over the competition is that it can integrate with multiple platforms and apps. This thermostat works seamlessly with the Wink home platform. Wink smart home works in tandem with the regular IFTTT task automation tool. This feature comes with geofencing abilities, enabling the device to activate or deactivate the heating based on your location settings. In other words, if you enter the range of the device, it assumes that you are getting home and it turns on.
This is one of the best smart wifi thermostats with humidity control. Additionally, the wi fi smart thermostat rth9580 works seamlessly with Amazon Alexa. Once installed, you can use Alexa to control the thermostat via voice control. As more and more smart devices and apps will hit the market, the Honeywell 7 day programmable thermostat will continue to grow its base of connectivity and get more features and benefits.
When using the app, you can add additional users who can connect to the thermostat and set the temperature. This enables multiple people to leverage the features and benefits of the Honeywell smart thermostat.
4. Smart response: The Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf is able to remember your heating and cooling cycles in order to deliver the perfect temperature for your needs, exactly when you need it most. Due to its super intelligent computer, this smart thermostat keeps improving its output by learning the phases of the day when you use more heat. It also learns how much time is necessary to reach the optimal heating temperature, based on the weather forecasts.
As it gathers outside temperature from Accuweather, the Honeywell RTH9580WF is able to predict when the temperature will change, and thus will be able to stay prepared by heating or cooling your house accordingly. However, note that this device should stay connected to the Internet in order to work seamlessly.
5. Wi-fi optimized: all your settings are stored in the cloud, which eliminates the need for memorizing your manual settings. Unlike many other thermostats, the Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf will not lose its head when the internet goes out. Even though you will lose the capability to control it via the app, it will continue to run as it was programmed. In case there is a power outage, the settings are not lost, but the thermostat will stop working.
6. Ability to automatically switch from heating to cooling: very few thermostats have this feature. If you live in a region where you need to switch from heating to cooling quite often, then the Honeywell thermostat could prove invaluable.
But how do you adjust the humidity on my Honeywell thermostat?
- To adjust the humidity, you can rotate the adjustment knob clockwise to turn it on.
- You can then set the humidity control according to the current outdoor temperature.
- Before making any other adjustments, allow the system to operate for at least one full day.
7. Multitude of features: Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf allows you to control indoor humidity, air circulation, heating and cooling.
Due to its multitude of features and benefits, we have agreed that this is the best Honeywell thermostat available on the market. Despite being launched over 3 years ago, it is still one of the few Honeywell thermostats that have managed to withstand the test of time. For its features and capabilities, Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf deserves 5 stars.
Installing this thermostat is not such an easy process. First of all, you will need a c-wire to install the honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf. Of course, you have all the wires and screws inside the package, but you will need your own tools and devices to install the thermostat.
Check out this video on details how to install this thermostat in an easy-to-understand manner:
The Honeywell thermostat works seamlessly with most HVAC setups, except high voltage heater.
As this device is not so easy to install and because it is not compatible with all HVAC setups, we will award it only 3 stars out of 5.
What are the Pros?
Vacation mode allows you to set a specific temperature and humidity, giving you the peace of mind that your home is on good hands.
-Wide range of customization options, including outdoor conditions, display color, alerts, etc.
– Can be controlled via external apps and devices, including Alexa and the companion app
– Slim design that integrates beautifully with your décor
– Multiple users can control the device at the same time
– PIN code for restricted access
-30-seconds lockout mode to clean the thermostat screen
– Keep tabs on the air filters
– Flexibility to use
– Calculates target temperature and understands the heating and cooling process. The ideal temperature will be achieved before you know.
– Automatically saves energy when the ideal energy is achieved
– Can easily switch from heating to cooling
What are the Cons?
– Quite complicated to install: while using this device is a pleasure, it is quite difficult to set up all connections and to understand how it works. Installing it can take hours. Definitely not recommended for newbies or for busy people.
– Made of inexpensive plastic: most other thermostats are made of durable metal or aluminum. Most Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf reviews fail to pinpoint this issue. However, in a Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf vs nest sowdown, the latter has a clear advantage when it comes to design. Nest is more stylish and is made of polished, high-quality aluminum.
– Can’t predict when the home is empty: this is a huge drawback, as most smart thermostats can do that. Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf is not able to adjust the temperature in your home based on proximity sensors.
– No energy reports: ultimately, this thermostat from Honeywell lacks the option to generate energy reports. You won’t be able to know how much energy was saved during a certain period of time. You would just have to guess.
What is the Final Verdict?
All in all, the Honeywell wifi smart thermostat rth9580wf can be considered an exceptional thermostat that has managed to last long enough in time to prove its efficiency and superiority. With an average score of 4.3 on Amazon and a similar average score from us, this is an above average thermostat. This device is perfect for non-technical people, persons who own multiple properties or businesses. It is also great for users who want to stay in control of their home temperature and humidity.
If you are looking for a reliable, high-quality thermostat that offers a wide range of customization options and comes at an affordable price, look no further.